One of my favorite WordPress plugins that I use is Fun With Sidebar Tabs, coded by the awesome Andrew Rickmann. This plugin lets you easily tab your sidebar widgets so you can solve your sidebar cluttering issue.
I will also be submitting this to Andrew for possibly patching Fun With Sidebar Tabs. Stay tuned by subscribing to the RSS feed and I will let you know when the changes become official. For now, installation is easy as pie.
- Download rotate_fwst.js and place it anywhere on your server.
- Make sure Fun With Sidebar Tabs is activated.
- Refer to rotate_fwst.js in the footer of your template. For example:
- Refresh homepage to see that your tabs are cycling.
- You can modify the cycle delay by modifying the “delay” variable near the top of rotate_fwst.js (look for “cycle delay in milliseconds”).
- By default, the script keeps the height of the widget the tallest of all tabs (so that the sidebar doesn’t keep changing heights on you). You can disable this (and have the height shrink/grow based on the tab height) by commenting-out/deleting the code between “// START: change height to max height” and “// END: change height to max height” in rotate_fwst.js.
What do you think?
Please leave me questions/comments/suggestions in the comments section.