WP Minify is supposed to work out of the box for many cases. That being said, there will always be plugins that conflict with WP Minify because of the nature of this plugin. In this post, I will show you how to troubleshoot these issues for yourself before you have to hit the plugin support forum.
How does WP Minify Work?
When activated, the plugin does the following:
- WP Minify intercepts theme rendering at the get_header WordPress hook and puts everything that is echoed/outputted from the PHP code into an output buffer.
- WP Minify then intercepts theme rendering again at the get_footer WordPress hook to stop the output buffer.
- The page content is echoed/outputted as normal.
General Debugging Tips
Almost all issues can be resolved using the following debugging technique.
Here is what you will need
Here are the steps you need to take
- Load your site with the following Firebug options enabled.
- Go to the “Net” tab in Firebug and you will probably see a URL that is highlight in red and returning 400.
- Copy this broken URL and drop it address bar in a new browser window and make sure that it really does return a 400 error code.
- The minify URL is in the form of “http://example.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-minify/min/?f=” followed by a comma delimited list of files. You should try removing each file one by one from this list until the Minify call works (returns the minified version of all of these files).
I still can’t get it to work!
If all else fails, there is always the plugin support forums.